LASIK (Laser-Assisted In Situ Keratomileusis) surgery continues to redefine ophthalmology, offering a transformative solution for refractive errors like myopia, hyperopia, and astigmatism. One of the key factors behind the success of LASIK is the ongoing technological advancements, with two standout innovations being the Wavelight laser and the Contoura Vision system. In this article, we explore the intricacies of LASIK technology, shedding light on the principles underlying the Wavelight laser and the groundbreaking Contoura Vision system.
LASIK, a revolutionary surgical procedure, enhances vision by reshaping the cornea, the transparent part of the eye. A laser creates a precise corneal flap, followed by another laser sculpting the corneal tissue to correct refractive errors.
Wavelight lasers mark a significant leap in LASIK technology, employing wavefront-optimized technology. Unlike traditional LASIK, which addresses basic vision aspects, wavefront-optimized treatments aim to maintain corneal asphericity by delivering more laser energy in the corneal periphery, reducing higher-order aberrations (HOA) associated with visual symptoms after conventional refractive surgery.
Contoura Vision, a revolutionary LASIK technology developed by Alcon, takes personalization to new heights. Integrating corneal topography and wavefront-guided technology, this system creates a detailed, individualized treatment plan.
Corneal topography maps the cornea’s curvature, providing insights into shape and irregularities. Combined with wavefront measurements, Contoura Vision produces a 3D map, enabling the laser to address not just refractive errors but also subtle corneal irregularities, enhancing visual outcomes.
The system’s proficiency in handling higher-order aberrations contributes to improved vision, especially in low-light conditions, with patients reporting sharper, clearer vision and reduced halos and glare.
Visx and Wavelight lasers, distinct brands of excimer lasers in LASIK surgery, differ in technologies and features. Wavefront technology, eye tracking systems, treatment speed, FDA approval, and treatment capabilities are factors differentiating them. Both brands boast FDA approval, with Wavelight often praised for precision and customization, while Visx has a long history of successful LASIK procedures.
1. IntraLase iFS (now part of Johnson & Johnson Vision): A femtosecond laser offering high precision for corneal flap creation, contributing to enhanced safety and efficacy.
2. Alcon FS200: Another femtosecond laser system ensuring precise corneal flap creation with low pulse energy for customization.
3. Zeiss VisuMax: Known for precision, this femtosecond laser facilitates bladeless and precise corneal flap creation.
1. Alcon’s Contoura Vision: Integrating corneal topography and wavefront-guided technology for highly customized LASIK treatments, addressing both common refractive errors and higher-order aberrations.
2. Wavelight EX500: Recognized for speed and accuracy, equipped with advanced eye-tracking and wavefront-optimized technology for efficient and personalized LASIK treatments.
3. VISX Excimer Lasers: Widely used and reliable, incorporating wavefront-guided technology for customized LASIK treatments.
4. Nidek EC-5000: A versatile excimer laser system offering precision in treating various refractive errors.
Choosing LASIK technology depends on a surgeon’s preference, laser model, and patient needs. If you’re contemplating LASIK, we strongly recommend scheduling a free consultation with LasikPlus. This personalized consultation will provide you with valuable insights and help determine the most suitable technology for your unique vision correction needs.
Garden City, New York
Boca Raton, Florida
New York, New York
White Plains, New York
Amherst, New York
Virginia Beach, Virginia
El Paso, Texas
Syracuse, New York
West Palm Beach, Florida
Greenville, South Carolina
Durham, North Carolina
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Greensboro, North Carolina
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
Las Vegas, Nevada
Little Rock, Arkansas
West Fargo, North Dakota
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Charlotte, North Carolina
Brooklyn, New York
Maple Grove, Minnesota
Edison, New Jersey
Paramus, New Jersey
Altamonte Springs, Florida
Mt. Laurel, New Jersey
Glen Allen, Virginia
San Antonio, Texas
Creve Coeur, Missouri
Albany, New York
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Oak Brook, Illinois
West Des Moines, Iowa
Your vision issues can most likely be corrected with a LASIK procedure. Schedule a free consultation today.
Answer 5 simple questions to see if you are a candidate
Learn about your surgeon, the latest advanced technology, procedures, options and benefits, financing options, and what to expect from your LASIKPlus experience.