Day of Treatment for LASIK Surgery
Your LasikPlus team ensures your comfort on the day of your treatment. Expect to be at your Laser eye center about 90 minutes. This gives the LasikPlus team adequate time for your preparation, registration and final checks, and gives you an opportunity to relax and ask any additional questions you may have.
We understand that this is a big decision for you, and we’re here to answer your questions and guide you comfortably and confidently every step of the way. The actual procedure itself only takes between 3 to 4 minutes for each eye. Once the procedure begins, you will:
- Receive eye drop anesthesia to numb your eye. There are no injections necessary, and patients experience very little discomfort, if any at all, during the procedure.
- Recline in a comfortable bedlike chair and have a delicate device placed between your eyelids to prevent blinking.
- Be asked to focus on a point of light as the corneal flap is created.
- Your doctor will operate a computer-directed laser to deliver cool pulses of ultraviolet light and reshape your cornea. Each pulse of the laser evaporates only a small amount of corneal tissue — about 1/500th the thickness of a human hair. The laser reshaping of your cornea usually takes 5 seconds to a minute depending on the prescription.
- Receive soothing, cool drops in your eye. After this portion of the procedure, your doctor will replace the flap and bathe the surface of your eye with a cool solution. Corneal tissue has extraordinary natural bonding qualities, so no stitches will be needed. Healing begins almost immediately.
After the procedure, you may experience slight discomfort or a feeling similar to having an eyelash or dry contact lens in your eye. This sensation generally disappears after the first day.
If you are like most LASIK patients, you will probably notice a significant, immediate improvement in your vision. Which will continue to improve over the following days and weeks. Your LasikPlus team will guide you through post operative care and into your new life of clear vision.