LasikPlus Vision Center
Oak Brook, Illinois
LasikPlus is located in the Oak Brook Promenade behind Helzberg Diamonds, across the street from Dick’s Sporting Goods on the south side of Butterfield.
Your Oak Brook, Illinois Team
Dr. Horn has been performing LASIK for over 13 years, 10 years of which have been spent with LasikPlus. He has performed over 55,000 laser correction procedures during his career.
Dr. Gerald Horn has over 20 years of experience performing refractive surgery, including the historically important procedures of radial keratotomy, epikeratophakia, and automated lamellar keratoplasty. He has been named a Visx Star Surgeon, recognizing him as one of the top 5% of surgeons in the US. Dr. Horn co-authored “Idiopathic macular telangiectasis,” along with having numerous publications in peer reviewed literature. He has also lectured on numerous occasions throughout his career.
“The joy in being able to restore natural, unaided precise, high quality of vision for so many people who are candidates and place their trust in me, and being able to devote 100% of my time to laser vision correction has made these the most gratifying years of my near 30-year ophthalmic career.”
Dr. Horn is a native Chicagoan, with his wife of 21 years. He has three children: Taylor (19), Sheridan (17), Colton (9). Taylor has enjoyed four years of golf on a varsity level and Sheridan three years of junior varsity tennis. Dr. Horn enjoys family, pharmaceutical development, tennis, skiing and poisoning the well with political insight in his free time.
- University of Illinois Medical School, M.D.
- Rush-Presbyterian St. Lukes Hospital, Internship
- Mini-Fellowship trained Automated Lamellar Keratoplasty , Chiron
- Mini -Fellowship trained Lasik, Minneapolis Eye Consultants, Drs. Lindstrom and Harden
- Mini-Fellowship Casebeer Radial Keratotomy Course
- Has had staff privileges at Michael Reese Hospital and Medical Center, Grant Hospital of Chicago, Mercy Hospital of Chicago
Certifications, Affiliations, Memberships, Achievements
- 1st United States instillation of the Technolas 217 laser, 2000
- Co-holder of LasikPlus Outcomes Award, 2000 – 2001
- Holder of multiple milestone awards for laser experience on Bausch and Lomb Technolas 217 and American Medical Optics Visx lasers
- LasikPlus Chicago Pinnacle Award for Excellence, 2002
- Founder ophthalmic pharmaceutical company, Ocularis Pharma, 1990
- Holder of 15 ophthalmic patents, 2 pending, 2 provisional filings
- Developed Q-Switched Erbium Laser for lens capsulotomy and performed first 50 procedures in the United States, published Journal Cataract and Refractive Surgery, 1981
- American Board of Ophthalmology Fellow 1985
- LasikPlus Medical Advisory Board
- LasikPlus Medical Advisory Board Emeritus
- American Academy of Ophthalmology
- American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- Former member of International Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery
- Certifications include Intralase, American Medical Optics Visx, Bausch and Lomb Technolas, Alcon Autonomous Lasers
Dr. Krassin has been practicing optometry since 2008 and has been working with LasikPlus since 2009.
Dr. Krassin was a former faculty member and Clinical Instructor of the Illinois College of Optometry and Illinois Eye Institute prior to joining Lasik Plus. He is currently an Assistant Clinical Professor with The Ohio State University College of Optometry. He is the chief attending at his clinic in Oak Brook, IL where he precepts fourth year optometry externs from the OSU College of Optometry. He has also lectured at numerous academic and educational venues.
“You cannot change the wind, but you can adjust the sails.”
In his spare time he enjoys spending time with his wife who is also an optometrist. They love cooking, barbequing, traveling, and watching movies together. Dr. Krassin also minored in music during his undergraduate studies. He particularly enjoys playing piano and guitar. In his spare time he can also be seen playing golf, biking, or juggling. In college he belonged to a juggling and acrosport gymnastic team that performed at high schools throughout the Midwest.
He and the team at LasikPlus are committed to helping you have the best possible life-altering LASIK experience.
- Union College, B.A. in Biology
- Southern California College of Optometry, O.D.
- Residency at Illinois Eye Institute – Primary Care and Ocular Disease
Certifications, Affiliations, Memberships
- Fellowship of American Academy of Optometry
- American Optometric Association
- Volunteering Optometric Services to Humanity
- Fellowship of Christian Optometrists
On a bad day, what is the success story you recall to help you through the day?
I recently had a patient with a high prescription, which in former days our lasers were unable to treat. She had been wearing glasses for over 40 years since she was 4 or 5 years old. The day after surgery she was so excited that she was crying out of sheer joy. She also made it a point to hug every single staff member and doctor in the office before she left. It’s hard to dislike your job when you are reminded of how many happy patients and truly transformed lives you have after surgery. It’s an honor being part of that.